Tuesday, May 1, 2012

The future

Honesty time.

I have no idea what I want to be "when I grow up," I've just been hoping the ORCO major will lead me in the right direction. Since I'm not heading anywhere specific, my "dream internship" is hard to find... but there are several options out there.

Mashable job search is a place that allows you to view thousands of open positions for internships or jobs in the field of communication, specifically social media. Many of these are for people with a lot more experience than I have and are located across the country, but a girl can dream, right?

Warner Bros. Entertainment Group posted a listing for a vice president of public relations. Who wouldn't want to work for Warner Bros.?! Now, I know vice president is a bit of a stretch for now... but I believe this class has prepared me to be on my way.

The job responsibilities include:
- Work with senior staff, PR Teams and digital within the organization and agencies to build an online communications strategy, campaign themes and tactics to take or extend brands socially, drive traffic and increase loyalty.
- Generate compelling content and story ideas that get key online influencers excited. Transform messaging and offline content into powerful, compelling content that works well online.
- Work with a variety of social media outlets, social media management tools, and content management systems to identify, locate and engage with technology press, advocates and influencers within social and blogging communities to build relationships.
- Set realistic goals for deliverables, approvals, timelines and metrics, conduct public relations activities and manage outside public relations firms, agencies and vendors.
- Manage social media content calendars and coordinate reviews and approvals as necessary. 
- Clearly and persuasively communicate strategic recommendations to internal and external audiences with variable levels of understanding.
- Monitor and listen to online conversation within (and sometimes outside of) communities, identify opportunities as they arise. Build measurement and analysis reports and recommendations with valuable quantifiable insights from analytical data and qualitative insights. Monitor trends in blogger management approaches, best practices and tools, experimenting with new trends and applications.

That is exactly what I have been working to accomplish through the course of this blog. I have learned to use Twitter and a few other social media outlets - and what I don't know, I know I can learn. 
This course has been about building relationships. Listening. Engaging. Improving. 

Aside from the Bachelor's Degree and 8-10 years of experience required I think I'm set!

No comments:

Post a Comment