Thursday, April 12, 2012

My journey thus far

Since beginning this blogging assignment, I have learned a lot about the world of social media. Originally, the only social media network I belonged to was Facebook and I use it purely as a personal site, not professionally. Truth is, I didn't know how to use social media professionally. Since getting on Twitter and following some professionals, along with blogging assignments to hone in on important aspects of social media and a brilliant guest speaker (Lyn Hoyt), I have seen that social media is bigger than any one of us.
I think the most important lessons I have learned have included listening and engaging, however I've really only been working on one of those skills. Speaking of which, I have also come to the conclusion that social media and I suffer some personality differences. I like to listen. I like to see what people are putting out there and learn from what they have to share. However, I'm not good at sharing myself, at engaging, and that is something I still need to work on to further my social media career.
Although I haven't been engaging, my network has still grown quite a bit and continues growing consistently. I think the biggest contributing factor to that is that I like to listen. I like to follow, and people return the favor.
I believe this blogging assignment has made me a better write, even though you might disagree. Reading is a big contributing factor there. I've been learning by example, reading professional blogs and seeing what people respond to.

No comments:

Post a Comment